The best HDD repair freeware choices you can make center around Windows tools and manufacturer applications. In this post I’ll show you where to find these tools and how to get the best from them.
Before making any repairs with these products you should be sure to make backup copies of your data. These products are generally quite safe but any tools which modify the data clusters on your disk do have the potential of introducing faults, so it is wise to backup first.
Microsofts Own Windows Tool
The first product to consider is Windows own disk checking utility. This HDD repair freeware is provided with all versions of Windows. The product primarily analyzes the drive for bad sectors and attempts to repair them. Any sections that can’t be fixed will be marked as off-limits so that no further data is being stored to these corrupted sectors.
Finding and using the tool is done as follows:
- Open up a Windows Explorer.
- Find the hard drive you want to scan. Find the icon for this HDD and right click on it. Choose the Properties menu option.
- In the Properties dialog, select the Tools tab.
- At the top of the tools section (error checking options) hit the Check Now button.
- Each version of Windows provides different options at this point, but the most usual choice is to scan for and attempt to repair of bad sectors or do a thorough scan. Start your scan.
The second type of HDD repair freeware you can consider are those utilities made available by the manufacturer of your PC or laptop. These can be the most useful products to choose as they are designed specifically for your hardware.
Go to your computer manufacturer’s website and search for HDD repair freeware in the resources or support section of the website. These type of products are usually used in-house by engineers and technicians for evaluating and rectifying faults, so may already have been made available to customers.